Between 1895 and 1908, 31 miles of tramways were built throughout Bristol. Despite their enormous popularity, it was the residents of Clifton who were most opposed to their creation, fearing that the "lower classes" would now be able to freely travel up Park Street and Whiteladies Road en masse and bring with them their "sinful vices" into the area. One writer to the Bristol Mercury went so far as decrying: "Is it not something terrible and most wicked that the disgusting tramway is to bring the nasty low inhabitants up to our sacred region?" The trams remained a fixture of Bristol life until 1940 when a bomb destroyed the tramway centre building during the blitz. By this time the bus had overtaking the tram as the most affordable means of travel so the service was permanently suspended, though there are still several sections of tramway track still visible in parts of the city.