Once you have mobilised shoulders and scapular, accessed some range to comfortable over head squat position without pain of loss of range, it's time to add hanging bar work into your programs. To prepare the CNS (central nervous system) and build real functional strength, start on the bar raw, this will build real grip strength. Use chalk as a regression after grip fail.
Phase through as follows;
1. Flex Hangs - Chin level with the bar, step off with graduated full body weight. Hold chin level with bar.
2. Dead Hangs - Grip bar and graduated full body weight hang from bar.
2. Eccentric/negative pull ups - Jump to chin position and slowly lower yourself to full hang position over 2- 5 sec
4. Full Bodyweight Pull Up - focus on setting shoulders at base of concentric phase (before pull up) set shoulders by engaging back and pulling scapulae down.
5. Hanging leg raise - Set shoulders as above and then draw legs up, knees extended up.
6. L-Sit Pull ups - Set shoulders as above and then draw legs up and pull up.
This is a phase of hanging strength and overhead function that you can add and progress into most any other bar work. These progressions will give anyone that is not already competent on the bar a guide toward a strong and pain free progression.
What does your Saturday morning class look like? Strong effort all round at this mornings Live & Kicking session right here at www.inferno.fitness getting the weekend off the right way with a solid Metcon workout then a little abs and a nice stretch out at the end. Great work team. Coached by @lukeyblue7 our founder